It’s a long way down the Holiday Road…

It’s funny you seem to spend your life wishing time away, particularly when it comes to holidays. Once the holiday is booked the count down begins. Our holiday was no different, we couldn’t wait to get away. It had been a tough year. Daddy had been away for 4 months and we had missed him terribly. We couldn’t wait to be a proper family just the 3 of us. No professionals, no hospital appointments – just the 3 of us.

The only thing that was dimming the excitement slightly was the flight there! We tried not to think about it, but the topic would pop up! Isabella would have her moments in the 4 weeks leading up to the holiday where on a short journey, she would  become very upset for no apparent reason. Paul and I would look at each other, trying to hide the fear in our eyes. Then added to this there were people that would say, ‘Wow a 10 hour flight, however will she cope?’

Then before we knew it, it was here! We had spent all our time wishing the holiday would come round quick, so when it did, it took us by surprise. This I think was due to the all the Christmas Parties, nights outs, family visits, professional visits and hospital appointments.

We wanted to make things as easy as possible. So we decided to buy all toiletries and nappies out there. We also decided to stay at a hotel at the terminal. That way on the morning of the flight it would mean no transport, just a simple stroll to check in.

Our plan of attack was to keep it simple. No stress, no hassle, no rushing around; nothing that could potentially upset Isabella. We were able to check in our cases the night before. The queue was small and Isabella was delightful, smiling at everyone around her. The girl at Check -in was amazing, as we were allocated 3 seats away from other passengers. She attached blue badge labels to our cases, which meant they came off first. Then just as we were about to leave, we were given speedysecurity passes, which are normally allocated premium economy passengers. Things were going perfectly, we strolled back to our hotel room feeling happy and relaxed. We decided to keep Isabella up a little bit later, so she would be tired for the flight. So we all snuggled up in our king size bed, excited for the morning.

Paul and I woke full of excitement, with Isabella still dozing inbetween us. She woke with a big smile and looked at the two of us. We all were very excited and Isabella was in a very good mood, we left our hotel room and took a slow stroll to the terminal. Check in and security were a breeze, things were going to plan. We both were very relaxed. We decided to have a leisurely breakfast in Frankie and Benny’s, to get us into holiday mode.

With time to spare we managed a bimble round the shops, which I have to say are not that interesting. With only a bottle of water purchased we made our way to the gate. We were one of the first to board, we looked at each other nervously, as we walked down the tunnel. Isabella was smiling away cheerfully, but my stomach was churning, I felt sick. We got to the plane door and were greeted by three smiling faces. The buggy was taken off us and we were told we would get it on landing. Easy. I let out a deep breath, as we walked on to the plane. Isabella was still smiling at everyone she passed. So far, so good.

We took our seats. We decided to give Isabella her medication before take off. The plane was slowly filling up, but it was okay, we were on and settled. A few people were unsuccessfully trying their best to look like they weren’t looking, as I cuddled Isabella with a syringe in hand. Normally with medicine she takes it lwithout problem, on this occasion she decided to clamp her mouth shut, tight. With some encouragement she finally decided to play ball. With medicine administered, we sat her in her special needs chair. She was settled and happy, which meant we were calm and relaxed. We were late taking off and after 30 minutes of laughing and giving her I pad a good bash Isabella fell asleep. The roar of the engines didn’t wake her and both Paul and I exhaled deeply. We had made it into the air, only another 10hrs to go!

I kept glancing over at Isabella, she was fast alseep. So I decided to watch a movie. I couldn’t remember the last time I had watched a movie on a plane.  I took the headphones out of the packet, trying my hardest to muffle the rustling sound. Then I dithered choosing the movie, as there was too much choice.  I settled for Magic Mike, I figured it would be rude not too. Isabella must have sensed that Mummy was having way too much fun, as 40 minutes into the film, she woke up and for the next 9 hours that is how she would stay.

How we passed the time, I will never know,there were several nappy changes, which incidentally is no easy feat. Isabella measuring 90 cm, meant her head and feet were practically touching both walls! There was also a lot of eating during that time and lots of banging and dropping the I pad. However the whole 10 hours Isabella remained happy and calm. She was a super star, we were both very proud.

When we left the plane, we recieved Isabella’s buggy without any difficulty. Isabella was still smiling and we sat her in it. Imigration was a breeze, families with children were invited to the front of the queue. This annoyed all the people without children. We didn’t care, Isabella had been up since 5;30 am and it was now 16:00 in Las Vegas, she was doing amazingly well.

We collected our cases and took a transfer bus to collect our hire car. Isabella was now starting to tire, the day was now starting to take it’s toll. We tried to whizz round Walmart, as quickly as possible, but not quick enough, as she fell asleep, just before we left the store. She was not impressed when she was woken up during her transfer to the car. So it began. Slow at first and then it built in a crescendo of screaming. She had had enough. It was only a 10 minute drive to the hotel but that was 10 minutes too much. She got herself into such a state, as we pulled into the car park she was sick. I rushed to open the door and she was sick again, all over me!

Wrapped in a blanket and snuggled in Mummy’s arms we made our way into the hotel. Isabella was smiling again, as she was with Mummy, a very stinky Mummy. I had a made the hotel reservation, so I had to check in. So with the fragrance essence du sick, and a red faced child wrapped up in blanket covered in sick also, I checked in.

We took the lift to the 26th floor in silence. We opened the door to our amazing room, but all I wanted was to find the shower. Isabella and I jumped in, as the water washed over us, I relaxed. We were here, we had made it. Slight mishap, but nothing a shower couldn’t fix. We both got dry and into our onesies and climbed into the gigantic bed that awaited us. The view was unbelievable, lights twinkling and stars shining, but Isabella could bearly keep her eyes open, while she drank her bottle. It was okay, because she could see it all tomorrow..



One thought on “It’s a long way down the Holiday Road…

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s